Royston Golf Club Booking Telephone: 01763 243476
Email: email@example.com Web: www.roystongolfclub.co.uk
Baldock Road, Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8 5BG
Around 1869 two keen golfers, Lord Dunedin and George Gosset studying at Cambridge, came to Therfield Heath with a hole-cutter and two bags of clubs. After deciding where the "18th" hole would be, they started at the "1st" tee, with 2 full shots and an approach shot - then cut the hole. This improvisation continued around the entire course. Later a small club with 17 members was formed - however it only flourished for two years.
892, the Royston Golf Club was established, closely following the course laid out some 23 years earlier. 56 members paid the sum of one guinea (raised to two guineas in 1894) in what was soon to be known as one of the finest inland golf grounds in the Eastern Counties. In 1894 a clubhouse was built at the cost of £300 and extended in 1906.
1904 a membership limit of 300, with members living London, Watford, Isle of Wight and other non-local places. In 1906 the "Hand in Hand" club was formed, which eventually became the Artisan Golf Club.
The course is fantastically maintained and welcomes visitors throughout the year.