Prestonfield Golf Club Booking Telephone: 0131 667 9665
Email: email@example.com Web: www.prestonfieldgolf.com
Priestfield Road North, Edinburgh, EH16 5HS
Prestonfield Golf Club was formed in 1920, springing from the Edinburgh Civil Service Golf Club, with an original membership of 350 civil servants an 150 associates. The original course, designed by Peter Robertson was opened for play in 1921 and remained substantially unaltered until 1928 when new ground at the Duddingston end of the course was taken in lieu of part of the original ground relinquished for building.
At this time James Braid was called in to re-design the course which was further improved by taking in additional ground for the present fifteenth hole in 1933. As now laid out the course has a total length on 6207 yards and provides a variety of holes that will test the ability of the best players. The most amazing thing about the course of the Prestonfield Golf Club is that a site of such romantic beauty should be found so close to the center of Edinburgh.
It lies under the lee of Aurthurs seat, whose bold crags make a kaleidoscopic display of colour when they are lit up by the evening sun. On the north east Duddingston Loch, a national bird sanctuary and a favorite resort of Edinburgh skaters in time of frost and Duddingston Church, with its square tower and crooked flag-staff, add to the beauty of the scene.
The course itself is laid out in part of the former beautiful park of Prestonfield House, and only along its western boundary does it touch the fringe of the modern city. Yet the club is little more than a mile and a half from the center of the city by any of the buses going south by Dalkeith Road.